Thursday, April 12, 2007

Pregnancy Workout

Since I am in the position where I know that I want to begin trying to get pregnant in July, then I have about 3 months to prepare my body for it. I have two opinions about “preparing my body for pregnancy.” On the one hand, I know that everyone says there are things you need to do and not to, consume and not consume, and so on, but I wonder, isn’t that what we always need for ourselves too? I mean, I want to prepare for being pregnant, but I also think that the things I am supposed to do to prepare for being pregnant, I should already be doing anyways. Regardless, I am trying to put a list together of how to change my lifestyle. I am going to discuss exercising.

I am trying to choose a workout plan for my pregnancy. I enjoy lifting weights and had been doing that consistently for the past few months, but I was lifting weights more like guys do. By that, I mean that I was straining myself, building up, always working towards lifting more weight. I have always enjoyed building my muscles, and I wish I could lift 25 pounds with my biceps easily again (nothing really heavy, but a pretty good weight for a girl my size). But I always feel strained, and I don’t think I want to exercise like that when pregnant. So if I wanted to stick with lifting weights, should I do what seems recommended for women? That is a focus on toning more than building. I imagine that I would lift lighter weights, but use them longer. For example, instead of 2 or 3 sets of 10-12 of a heavy weight, I would lift like 5 or 10 pounds (very light) and do maybe 4 or 5 sets of 10. Or maybe just keep doing whatever motion I was doing until I felt tired or a burn. Its not so much a strain, but it strengthens. I feel like it lengthens the muscles rather than makes them bulky. So I guess I could switch to that kind of weight lifting.

But other than that, I am not sure what other workout to do. I usually like to lift weights and to do some kind of cardio. I wanted to swim, but then I got worried about the chlorine. In the first place, it bothers my hair, eyes and skin and it makes me shower more often than I want to (because I like to do cardio for at least 5 days a week). I also read about how chlorine isn’t that good for you, so that could be true. I haven’t heard enough to make me not want to swim in a pool again, but I also don’t think I want to be in a pool that much since it does irritate me. If anyone knows about why chlorine in a pool might be bad for you, then let me know.

So I might just choose going for a walk for my cardio. Usually I do something a little more involved, such as rollerblading. I would prefer to rollerblade, and I think I could for a while, but I get worried about having a fall. But it will probably primarily have to do with where I live that will determine the cardio I eventually stick with. If I live by a nice rollerblading trail, then I will choose that. And if I don’t live by anything too great, then I will just walk. But if anyone has any other ideas for a good workout for pregnant women, let me know.

One thing I hear a lot about is Yoga, but I haven’t really done it. Maybe I could try to find a place and try it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are right on with your comments per exercise while pregnant. Supposedly, any exercise you currently perform should be OK in moderation during pregnancy.

However, any exercise which may have a risk falling, such as riding a horse or rollerblading would be detrimental if you jar yourself severely or hit your abdomen.

Walking is safe. Your weightlifting should be moderated, as you stated. No need to strain at heavy weights, just reduce the amount and that reduced amount with repetitions will strengthen.

Research has shown that women who walk and maintain their level of activity and safe exercise, tend to have easier deliveries.

Susan