Friday, April 13, 2007

Could Dairy Products Be Bad For Us?

I have been currently looking into sources of calcium. I came across a few websites that were stating some radical and interesting things. They discussed the idea that milk (and dairy products in general) aren't good for you. It even went so far to say that the milk products do the opposite of what we are told they do. That milk aids in causing osteoporosis rather than preventing it, and also that it contributes/causes all kinds of other terrible things. I drink milk, and always thought it was good for you, but I do try to be open-minded and open to change. So I am taking time now to consider this idea and to hear these people out.

One thing I found interesting was the fact that we milk drinkers are in the minority out of all the people on earth. And that humans – the few humans who do drink milk – are the only species to drink milk after infancy. Which means only a few of us, like Americans, drink milk that is from another species and we drink it after being an infant. I guess I always thought everyone drank milk. But now that I think of it, I guess I didn’t think that Native American and Asians drank milk. Wow, to imagine a life without dairy products is pretty different.

Now that that interesting thought has kind of sunk in, I recall that for a fairly long period of time (at least 5 years) I didn’t like milk because it kind of upset my stomach, so I only used it for cereals, and never drank it. So I guess it is possible to go without milk. Especially since there are other milks, such as soy milk, rice milk, almond milk and others. What about all the other dairy products, I wondered? I found a recipe for soy butter, so I guess that can take care of the butter. But what about cheese? Dairy products seem to be so much in my life, I am not sure what it would look like to cut them out completely.

However, I still have more researching to do. I was reading about milk being bad for me, I don’t know about cheeses. Do cheeses have antibiotics and hormones in them? Does it have all the problems milk has? If not, then I could much more easily see living a life without milk in general. Mainly because I have been convinced that organic milk is better for me, and organic milk is expensive. But then again, I haven’t checked the price for soy milk, so I am not sure if it is expensive. But then I found this machine called the Soy Milk Maker, and I am going to try to get that to make my own soy milk for cheap. It’s a lot cheaper than buying a cow, which I once considered.

Perhaps if I just cut milk, but still include cheeses, but up my wheat, fiber, healthy oils and vegetables then things will be ok.

One reason I didn’t want to consider giving up milk was because I felt like I needed more protein. In one of the websites, it mentioned that a tribe of people in South America get very little protein and calcium and they don’t have any or many cases of osteoporosis, however, Eskimos were said to consume the highest amount of protein and calcium and they have the highest prevalence of osteoporosis. It called into question whether I needed all that protein I thought I needed before. It seems I keep reading claims about incomplete proteins and how I will get so little protein if I don’t eat meat sources – all which I agreed with since I am not vegetarian – but now I am starting to question my so called knowledge. How do I know how much protein is good for me anyways? I have heard that too much protein can just convert to fat anyways. And now to add to that that it might hinder me from building or retaining bone strength. I can try to find more information and read more books about protein amounts. But I guess I could also just find out for myself with my own body. I used to think I needed somewhere around 60-70 grams of protein, but maybe I can live off of 30-45 grams. That amount wouldn’t be hard to get from non-dairy sources. I haven’t yet checked into what protein amount is recommended for pregnant women.

I just found these ideas interesting. I will paste the main links I was reading below if you are interested in reading them too. If you have any thought, opinions or ideas on the subject then let me know.

http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html

http://www.soystache.com/calcium.htm

http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=98

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hey, I used to read the peta website a lot when I was a vegetarian. I don't know how much stock to put into the website, but just from looking at how we have used milk through the ages cheese seems like a safe bet. A lot of things that are "fringe foods", or things that are not of the dietary norm (soy is also in this group) are safer when fermented or cultured, so yogurt sour cream and cheese are a good bet where milk is concerned. Butter, too, but I'd go with organic butter if its doable since the milk fats are prone to holding pesticide residue. :)