Friday, April 13, 2007

Adverse Health Effects of Chlorinated Pools

I mentioned in my recent “workout” post that I wanted to consider swimming as a possible pregnancy workout, for obvious reasons such as it being a no-impact activity. I also mentioned that I had briefly read something about the chlorine in swimming pools not being safe for people and not safe for pregnant women. I believe the book I read that in was called The Complete Organic Pregnancy Guide. So I decided to do a search to look up what people have to say about that.

The first article I read said this in summary:

“Chlorine byproducts found in swimming pools are linked to higher incidences of asthma, lung damage, stillbirths, miscarriages and bladder cancer, according to credible research conducted in the U.S., Canada, Norway, Australia and Belgium.

One researcher noted that 10-year-old children spending an average of 1.8 hours per week in an indoor swimming pool environment suffered lung damage she would expect to see in an adult smoker. For conscientious swimming pools managers, the question this raises is are there viable alternatives to chlorine? Ozone and ultraviolet are the two most commonly cited technologies.

Dr. John Marshall, of the Pure Water Association, an American consumer group campaigning for safer drinking water, states: "It shows we should be paying more attention to the chemicals we put in our drinking water and we should be looking for other alternatives to chlorination. A number of safe, non-toxic options exist, such as treating water with ozone gas or ultra violet light."”

http://swimming.about.com/od/allergyandasthma/a/cl_pool_problem_3.htm

I have many fond memories of swimming in pools, and my whole family and I enjoyed swimming almost every day in the summers during my childhood. As a matter of fact I am about to go on a family vacation in May and I definitely intend on swimming in the pool and enjoying the hot tub.

But I guess that is just the problem. I certainly know what it is like to hear people say that something is bad for me, but because I have “done it all my life” then I am not worried. I mean, I guess I want to say that since I have swam so much in my life I don’t really feel worried or like it is dangerous. So it is tempting to just blow it off, like “yeah right, people think everything is unhealthy for you!” But do people think everything is unhealthy for you? And how do I know that it isn’t unhealthy for me? It seems to be that the biggest reason I don’t like accepting that it is unhealthy is just because then I couldn’t swim anymore. But why shouldn’t I up the standards in my life a little better than that?

I am not sure if I will never swim in a chlorinated pool again, but I did wonder if it was safe since it is so unsafe to drink chlorinated water. I know that my body can absorb the water even without me drinking it. And I certainly do feel irritated eyes and dry skin and hair when I swim. But I am interested in the alternatives that were mentioned on the website. And swimming in a lake and an ocean is still ok. Plus, I haven’t swam in a pool in a while, so I don’t spend a lot of time around pools anyways. So I guess I will never buy a pool (not like I will probably have the money to anyways) and I will not choose to swim in a pool on a regular (daily) basis. And if I did have enough money for a pool, I would look into alternative ways to keep it clean.

I cant help but to wonder what my life is going to look like even in a year, because at the rate I am going, with all this new health information, I can tell my life is in for some big changes. As usual, if you have any comments or thoughts about this subject, let me know. Thanks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey its sara. this is really interesting but im confused...b/c 1 - chlorine is bad for some things, but doesnt it kill bad bacteria? 2 - oceans and lakes are ok, it says, but the point of chlorine is to keep the pool clean and clear where as oceans and lakes are completely filthy with tons of bacteria, feces, and even organisms, etc... well i was just confused... its definitely worth researching! Ill help!

Anonymous said...

In response to sara,

There are beneficial bacteria along with detrimental bacteria. Our intestines are filled with all kinds of bacteria that help us digest our food. Something that is able to kill bad bacteria is just as likely able to kill the beneficial bacteria.

Furthermore, ther risk with kill-alls like antibiotics and sterilizers is that we are creating a heavy selective pressure on bacteria to mutate into a resistent strain which can't be killed.

We've been living with dirt and grime for eons, our bodies are able to handle a certain threshold of "dirtiness". Some even argue that some level of exposure to "dirt" stimulates the immune system. It is pretty naive to continually strive to live in a "clean" environment. What we do out of ignorance may come back to bite us in the butt in the future.

The fear of death or disease is not something people should make their decisions out of.

striving4wisdom said...

In response to sara,

As far as I know, Oceans and Lakes are safe for us to swim in, which is why we can swim in them. Only the ones with high contents of human sewage or something else would prevent us from swimming in them. So even though oceans and lakes have bacteria and fish poop and everything, it is ok.

Also, there is a big difference between fish poop and human poop. Human or animal poop is much more toxic to us than fish poop.

This is just a guess here, but I am thinking that the water needs to be circulating, like should be running. You know how cows shouldn't drink the puddles of stagnant water on a farm, but then can drink the running water of a river or stream? I am thinking that maybe that's why the oceans and lakes are ok. They seem to have an ecosystem. A moving, self cleaning process. But obviously pools, being stagnant water, isn't going to be clean on its own.

Anyways, I guess I am just recently starting to question the American way of putting harsh chemicals into our bodies or water or food in order to clean them, rather than finding a less harsh alternative. Before I thought it was just the way to make thing safe for me to consume. Now I have to wonder if it is making things even more harmful for me.

I don't have conclusive answers, and like I said, I am still planning on swimming at the beach. But I am certainly in a process right now of questioning things I didn't before.

Melissa

Anonymous said...

In response to Edward,
Edward is right on. Our skin plus our entire alimentary tract remain loaded with beneficial bacteria. These organisms consistently work to filter and digest, part of the natural biological process.

Several years ago, the warning was published not to use soaps and handcleaners with anti-bacterial components all of the time, since the diminished results may actually predispose you to infection.Our body needs to work in these natural ways.

However, when one has a cold, simple handwashing and carefully covering those sneezes and not sharing cups, glasses, or eating utensils, does assist in not spreading the cold to another.

Another note, the hand sanitizers with alcohol, not the anti-bacterial ones, are so very helpful with a newborn at home and while shopping. Let me explain. The things we touch when shopping, the grocery cart handles, handling money, etc., sneezing, are loaded with organisms that you do not want your newborn exposed to yet. Therefore, wiping the grocery cart handle with a hand-sanitizer and using the same before you pick up your baby after shopping has been researched and found to be beneficial. You do not want your newborn to have a cold too early.

It is recommended to have a hand-sanitizer pump by your front door. Get in the habit of asking your visitors coming to see the new baby to use it for their hands before picking up the child. After you change the diaper, have a pump on the changing table to use for your hands. These sanitizer pumps are NOT THE ANTI-BACTERIAL ones.

Edward is accurate, we benefically live with dirt and our immune system is enhanced. Get ready for the inevitable, kids tend to eat about 2.2 lbs of dirt in their early lifetime.....part of growing up.

I do not know about the chlorine in pools, etc. Shall have to read about that. I do know that pregnant women should not use a hot tub because of the extreme heat and the pregnant uterus does not have a thermal regulatory capability.

Live informed but not in fear.
Susan