Saturday, September 8, 2007

Natural Family Planning or any other Natural Fertility Method

This post is mainly in response to a comment that was left on my recent post. I have looked into the natural fertility planning, it has many different titles depending on who is teaching it. As far as I know, Catholics call it Natural Family Planning, and I have also heard it called Natural Fertility, and now Fertility Awareness Method. No matter what you call it, the method described basically refers to being aware of how a female body works, specifically how her ovulation and menstruation works. After reading many books on it, I am amazed just how little I knew about my body! I truly believe that every girl should be taught the things in these books because to me it isn't a religious thing or anything other than a female thing. We claim to have "health" classes in which we are supposed to learn about our bodies, well I discovered that we learn almost nothing. So I definitely think all girls should be informed about how their bodies work and should talk about the changes they are going through. Rather than be confused, mystified and maybe even scared and grossed out.

I also liked the ideas that most of those books generally advocate, which is that when a man and a woman are having sex, they should just pay attention to the woman's body and work with her cycle, rather than trying to control or change it. I liked this idea because I didn't want to get on birth control pills, and mess with my hormones and deal with side effects or any other thing involved with taking such drugs. But that could be said to be easy for me to say. I know many women with irregular, painful and prolonged periods. I will not claim to know what is best for everyone. But for my body, the natural fertility awareness changed how I looked at my body.

However, just because I can chart my cycle and know when I am ovulating doesn't mean that I can be in control of all the factors involved. And that's what I discovered recently. I thought I would get pregnant the first time because I knew when I was supposed to be ovulating. But I did just have a wedding, with a lot of stress, and I have been moving around, and not eating consistently. And I definitely believe another factor that plays into it is the stressing out over wanting to get pregnant. And so even though I have read about the natural family planning method, I haven't gotten pregnant yet because there is a lot to my body. But thatis just how life is, you can't control or understand it all. Part of life is just enjoying it and praying. So I don't think about getting pregnant all the time. I just enjoy being married and all the other millions of interests I have. And when I am blessed with a child, I will be happy!

No comments: